ABOUT CARL CORT
Born in London, England, and of Guyanese decent, Carl started playing soccer at an early age. He was scouted by Wimbledon FC aged 11 while playing for his local club. Carl then developed through the Wimbledon youth system, signing his first professional contract aged 17.
He made his professional debut aged 18 and made a further 70 appearances, scoring 16 goals, which led to Carl being called up to represent England’s U21s squad. This generated interest from top clubs.
Carl enjoyed a four-year spell at Newcastle United before joining Wolverhampton Wanderers, Leicester City, Marbella, Norwich City and Brentford. In his 18-year career, he has trained and played alongside such stars such as Alan Shearer (Premier League all-time top goal scorer) Petr Cech, Tim Howard, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Thierry Henry, Denis Bergkamp and many more. He has also played for some of the top managers, including Sir Bobby Robson and Glenn Hoddle.
Before his retirement in October 2014, Carl represented Guyana in the World Cup qualifying rounds and created history with the Guyanese team, as they qualified through the first group stages, which had never been accomplished in the countries footballing history. Towards the end of his career Carl acquired and holds a USSF B coaching license and has been coaching youth players ever since.
Carl is extremely keen to pass down the knowledge and experience he has gained while playing top-level football. Developing creative players is his passion. His vision for the academy not only lies in the developmental process, he also hopes to pave a way for soccer culture in the US to continue to thrive and become increasingly competitive against the rest of the world.
- Won the 2012 North American Soccer League Champions with Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Made appearances for both the England U21 National Team and the Guyanese National Team
- Scored a hat-trick against the Sunderland in the League Cup in 1999
- Was a part of the 2002 Newcastle squad who played against Barcelona in the Champions League at Camp Nou
- Featured in Newcastle 3-1 win over Bayer Leverkusen in the 2003 group stages of the Champions League
- Scored for Wimbledon in the first minute againts Newcastle in a 3-1 win in 1997
- Won ‘Goal of the Month’ for a strike against Chelsea in the 2007 League Cup
- Scored on the Newcastle home debut against Derby County in 2000
- In debut match for Norwich, scored in the 3-3 draw against Wolves
- Click Here to View Carl’s CV